Sunday, September 19, 2010

Crepe Myrtle

The back garden used to have a driveway running through it to what was the garage before it was converted into the rumpus room. Last Easter I enlisted the help of a mate of mine, Sean, and my Dad, cut out about three tones of concrete and laid turf.

At the end of the turf I planted a crepe myrtle. It was fairly late in the season and after some inclement weather  I was worried that it had succumbed to the elements and that I had ultimately planted a stick.


That's it. Down in front of Imogen's slippery dip. But this last week it burst into bud.

So I made a little garden bed to celebrate.



Frootloop was a little unimpressed. But I quite liked it. I intend to shape the buxus japonica to the curve of the border when it grows. The lavender in the pot was struck from my lavender out the front of the house, and the sisyrinchium, (lavender skies) in the centre just took my fancy.

I love spring.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE spring as well, I am so happy that I am going to get to enjoy it all over again with you.

By the way, you need to title your blogs if you want them people at Blotanical to be able to 'pick' them.

Roslyn said...

Isn't it amazing how everything comes to life in Spring. Getting rid of that concrete must have been a huge job, but well worth it.

Paul said...

Thanks for the tip. I must spend some time looking through blotanical and getting used to how it works.

I have to admit that I'm impatient Missy. When it's work time it's work time. We were concrete sawing around 8am and had removed the concrete to a rubbish tip that recycles concrete waste, put down soil and laid the turf by 6pm. Then I stopped to eat.

BernieH said...

I'm sure the Crepe Myrtle will take off beautifully ... they're a tough plant. That new garden bed looks great and the crepe myrtle in flower will be a lovely feature. Great job!